FAITH IN WAITING
The Waiting - by Mike O’Donnell
(It is not necessary to have art that is specifically “sacred”, since God can speak through any artwork. The artwork may be a painting, sculpture, photography or an actual scene in front of you. Remember, your goal is to find a quiet place to create stillness allow space to hear the “still small voice” of God.)
Find a quiet place where you wont be distracted. You will find that journaling your response to the Visio Divina prompts will deepen your experience-
so grab a journal or a pen and some paper for this exercise. To further enhance the contemplative experience, you might play soft music and/or light a candle.
* Take a few moments to sit in stillness and openness before God.
* When you feel ready, ask God to help you see what he wants you to see or what he wants you to notice.
* Look at the painting. What are your first impressions? What thoughts, feeling or reactions do you have to the painting?
(Remember, there is no right or wrong way to do this, just observe what moves you and what you notice in yourself as you look at the painting)
* Allow yourself to linger where you find interest or where you feel discomfort.
What draws you in or bothers you about these areas of the painting?
* Notice the lines, shapes, colors and movement in the work. What do each of theses elements suggest to you?
* Allow any thoughts, emotions or feelings to surface as you view the painting and ask God what he has for you in them.
* Now close your eyes and imagine the painting in your mind. What stands out to you with your eyes closed? Do you notice anything new or different?
Are there any new thoughts, feelings or impressions you encounter with your eyes closed?
* Open your eyes and journal what you discovered with your eyes closed.
* How does this painting speak to you about waiting?
* Take some time to read over what you received from this practice. What awareness you might take from this time of prayer.
How was God present to you in this time?
Journal anything that seems relevant or if nothing seems significant ask God to continue revelation in the future.
Mike O'Donnell is a teacher, author and artist. He leads workshops and retreats to help people make sense of the chaos of their story and discover where
God is leading them to create life to the full. Find out more at polishingcopper.com
Meditation on Faith
Art and soul ministries Advent artists series
This offering of meditations has been curated with the gifted talents of four writers and four visual artists. We pray these devotions bless you and connect you in deeper ways to the creator and lover of your Art and Soul.