Mother and Child by Michelle Morris
(It is not necessary to have art that is specifically “sacred”, since God can speak through any artwork. The artwork may be a painting, sculpture, photography or an actual scene in front of you. Remember, your goal is to find a quiet place to create stillness allow space to hear the “still small voice” of God.)
Find a quiet place where you wont be distracted. You will find that journaling your response to the Visio Divina prompts will deepen your experience-
so grab a journal or a pen and some paper for this exercise. To further enhance the contemplative experience, you might play soft music and/or light a candle.
* Take a few moments to sit in stillness and openness before God.
* When you feel ready, ask God to help you see what he wants you to see or what he wants you to notice.
* Notice what speaks to you. Notice anything that bothers you.
* What is going on in this painting? Where are you in the painting? Where is God in the painting?
* How does this painting speak to you about God?
How does this painting speak of joy?
* Sit for a few moments with your eyes closed and imagine the painting in your mind. What do you remember most?
* As you open your eyes and look at the image again, do you see anything new? Has your awareness changed?
* Take your time with this and allow God to speak through your journaling. If you don’t journal, spend some time reflecting on the experience.
* Is there some way God has invited you to respond
to what you’ve heard today?
* As you end this pray time, thank God for anything He has spoken to you through this Visio Divina exercise.
Michelle Morris is a trained and certified Spiritual Director, an artist and founder of Art and Soul Ministries. To learn more about Michelle or Art and Soul Ministries, see the home page of this blog.
Meditation on Joy
Art and soul ministries Advent artists series
This offering of meditations has been curated with the gifted talents of four writers and four visual artists. We pray these devotions bless you and connect you in deeper ways to the creator and lover of your Art and Soul.