Visitation by Cody Wood
(It is not necessary to have art that is specifically “sacred”, since God can speak through any artwork. The artwork may be a painting, sculpture, photography or an actual scene in front of you. Remember, your goal is to find a quiet place to create stillness allow space to hear the “still small voice” of God.)
Find a quiet place to do this Visio Divina exercise. You will find that journaling the answers to the Visio Divina prompts will deepen your experience-
so grab a journal or a pen and some paper for this exercise. To further enhance a contemplative experience, you might play soft music and/or light a candle.
* Take a few moments to sit in stillness and openness before God.
* When you feel ready, ask God to help you see what he wants you to see or what he wants you to notice.
* What are your first impressions of the painting as a whole? What thoughts, feeling or reactions do you have to the painting?
* Now let your gaze move around the painting and allow yourself to linger where you find interest or where you feel uncomfortable.
How do you feel and what thoughts come when you linger in these areas?
* Imagine yourself in the painting? Where or who are you? What is happening and how does it effect you? Where is God in the painting?
* This painting is entitled "The Visitation". What does the title speak to you?
* How is this painting speaking peace to you?
* Take some time to read over what you received from this practice.
Ask God how you might respond or what awareness you might take from this time of prayer.
Cody studied Fine Arts at Cornell University and animation at the Art institute of Pittsburgh and Columbus College of Art and Design. He is an Illustrator/animator in Columbus Ohio, where he lives with his wife and two sons. Find his work on Instagram @donquicody
Meditation on Peace
Art and soul ministries Advent artists series
This offering of meditations has been curated with the gifted talents of four writers and four visual artists. We pray these devotions bless you and connect you in deeper ways to the creator and lover of your Art and Soul.